2 Cups brown rice Pasta
1 Cup Pumpkin, steamed
1 Tbsp Earth Balance
3/4 Cup Almond Milk (plain and unsweetened)
1 Tbsp Arrowroot (or other thickener)
1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder (or 3 cloves minced)
6 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
1 Tsp Dried Mustard (or 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard)
1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Tsp Paprika
1/4 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
Salt and Ground Pepper for taste
1. Boil pasta according to instructions on packaging. While pasta is cooking you can begin to prep the cheese sauce. Also preheat oven to 350.
2. Melt earth balance (or butter) in a pot over low-medium heat.
3. In a small bowl whisk together almond milk, arrowroot (or other thickener like flour or cornstarch), and garlic powder until clumps are gone. Add into pot with earth balance/butter and continue to whisk.
4. Stir into pot nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, salt, pepper, turmeric, onion powder, paprika, and dried mustard. Whisk over low heat for 5-7 minutes until thickened. Lastly add one cup of pureed pumpkin and stir until combined and heated thoroughly.
5. Mix cheese mixture and pasta in a large bowl, stirring until all pasta is covered. Pour mixture into a oil coated baking dish (8×8) and sprinkle with vegan cheese (or real cheese if you eat it).
6. Bake for about 30 minutes or until mixture begins to solidify. The top should be a golden orangey brown and the mixture should look exactly like a mac and cheese looks!