I wanted to make something new with my beets last week and so I went a hunting for a new recipe and found this gem. Perfect for making ahead of time, storing and reheating in the oven these were so simple on nights when I just wanted to eat without thinking! Spread with Garlic Yogurt Sauce for extra deliciousness!
3 cups grated raw Beets (about 3-5 medium-large Beets)
1 small Onion grated
2 cloves Garlic, pressed
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (I may have used Steel cut)
7 oz Feta Cheese (or Tofu as a Vegan substitute)
1 handful fresh Basil leaves, chiffoned
Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Grapeseed (or other high heat oil) for frying
1. Take all grated/pressed items: Beets, Onions and Garlic and combine in a large bowl. You can grate them with a box grater or a food processor.
2. Add 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, Eggs, and Rolled Oats to bowl with Beet/Onion/Garlic mixture and combine thoroughly.
3. Then add Feta or Tofu, Basil, Salt and Pepper and stir again to combine all ingredients.
4. Set aside to sit so that Oats absorb liquid and the mixture begins to set, this will ensure that your patties bind together and don’t fall apart when cooked.
5. Begin to make patties with your hands, and test to see how they stay together. If they are too lose add more Oats. Mixture should make about 6-8 patties, depending on size. Then…. Cook!
6. Cook patties on the grill, or in a pan. If using a pan add Grapeseed Oil and then fry on each side for 5-10 minutes.
Serve or allow to cool and store in the fridge. You can eat these like burgers in a bun with all the fixins, or you can treat these like potato pancakes and eat on their own. However you eat them they are delicious!